A weekly blog devoted to filling your tank full with positivity, motivation and thoughtful reflection.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Sincere Generosity

The word Generosity can be intimidating. I always end up with visuals of giving until it hurts.

Literally.

Hurts.

I struggle with fears of not having enough. The word Generosity triggers these feelings of lack for me. This is something that is shameful. It goes against my very nature of lovingkindness and giving.

So, how do I combat this?

I reframe how I think of generosity. Being generous means not only generous in a material way, but in spirit, word and deed.

Spiritually generous is a beautiful mindset. For me, that means being accepting of others, regardless of where they are at, loving them just as they are, with no agenda, with no motive to try to change their mind or "save" them. Even when we vehemently disagree on spiritual issues and ideals, I can have love for you. I can send you love and kindness and prayers for your happiness.

Generous in word is speaking kindly to all. Being able to offer a kind word when you see someone is hurting or struggling. The willingness to say "I care for you". Or being able to pump your fist in celebration of someone elses' triumph, even if you are a teeny tiny bit jealous or envious. That is true generosity.

Generous in deed, holding the door for someone, a genuine smile for a stranger, pick up that piecce of trash on the ground, a hug or a touch, all of these are generous acts. They can make all the difference for someone else.

Some of these are things we do everyday and we do not acknowledge them for the acts of Sincere Generosity that they are. Pay attention to these things that we do and that others do for us, acknowledge them for kindness, and do them more. When we are aware of our own generous spirit, we recoginize generosity in others and it grows.

When I think of generosity in these terms, it becomes less intimidating and more attainable.

This weeks challenge, Where can you be more sincerely generous in your life? Where can you acknowledge someone else's generosity?

Generous in spirit mind and deed,

Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment