A weekly blog devoted to filling your tank full with positivity, motivation and thoughtful reflection.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Don't Be a Muggle

One of the things I have been thinking a lot about lately is re-framing my thoughts. Instead of thinking about all of the things I don't like or don't want, I am trying to think about the things, situations and feelings that I do want.

My theory is this, have you noticed when you buy a new car or someone you know buys a new car, you start seeing that car EVERYWHERE?

This is due NOT to the fact that people have suddenly all started buying that car, but because it is what is on our mind. We are aware of it, it is on our radar.

So, if I can put the good things in life that I want "on my radar", that is what I am going to be aware of.

Instead of thinking "I am sad" and then seeing all of the challenges in life that support that thought, I can think "I am so happy" and then I will see all of the wonderful things in life that support that thought.

Which statement do you want to find proof of being true? Happy or sad? Either one that you choose, your mind will find ways to let you know, YOU ARE RIGHT!

They talk about this in The Secret as The Law of Attraction. How your thoughts 'attract" things to you. By thinking them you draw them into your life.

I didn't like that. It didn't feel TRUE to me. It felt too good to be true. I cannot say "I am going to win the lottery" to myself 500 times a day and then have a reasonable expectation that I will win the lottery.

I can say "I am a happy person" to myself 500 times a day and have a reasonable expectation that I WILL be a happy person.

I have an issue with The Law of Attraction. It should be "The Law of Being Aware".

Once you put good things on your radar, you start seeing them. Now, your thought did not make the good things "magically" appear, but, it put those good things on your radar, so that you NOTICED they were there all along.

We choose to see what we want to see. If we start choosing to see the good, we feel and experience the good. Makes me think of how in Harry Potter, the wizards rarely worried about what the Muggles would see, because if it does not fit in with what they "expect" to see, then they don't see it. Their minds automatically dismiss it. We are much the same way, we have to re-frame our thoughts to EXPECT to see the good.

I have an exercise that I do that is kind of silly, but, I struggle with my self esteem at times. So, what I do, is whenever I walk around or look in the mirror I think in my head "Wow, she is so pretty." And I say it over and over. Everytime.

Now, this in itself does not make me pretty, but I do feel pretty. Feeling pretty allows me to walk with my head held high, a smile on my face for all I see, and a swish in my step that would not be there if I thought to myself "Man, I feel gross today."

What thought can you re-frame for yourself to be more positive? Pick one good thing that you will tell yourself over and over.

Here are some ideas:

I am so dang smart.

Gosh, I am funny.

I have the best hair.

I have fabulous taste.

My checkbook practically balances itself.

I am so important.

Let's all do a little Stuart Smalley, look in the mirror, and say how wonderful we are.

Gosh darn it; people like me,

Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment